Official Website of the Municipality of Bulakan

About Bulakan

Socio-Economic Profile

 

Climate

 

Bulakan, just like the rest of the other towns in the province of Bulacan, has two (2) pronounced seasons, wet season and dry season. The former commences in the month of May and ends in November, while the latter sets in during the rest of the year. In general, the town of Bulakan receives an average rainfall of 191.25 mm.

 

 

Topography

 

The town’s terrain is generally flat having a limited coastline with portions touching Manila de Bay. It is intersected by several exterior or tributaries of Manila de Bay which serve as outlets of the rainwater. These outlets are oftentimes heavily silted causing flood in the municipality.

 

 

Soil Types

 

Bulakan soils vary from hydro soil in the swamp areas, clay loam in the central lowlands and quiqua silt loam in the northwestern part of the municipality.

 

 

Population Size and Growth

 

The Municipal Nutrition and Population Office demographic surveillance monthly report in January 2008 shows that the Municipality of Bulakan has a total population of 78,561. Brgy. Bambang is the most densely populated with 14,749. It is followed by Brgy. Matungao and Brgy. Sta Ana with the population of 12,097 and 8,144 respectively, on the other hand, the least populated barangay are Brgy. San Jose and Brgy. Tibig with 3,060 and 2,860 respectively.  

 

Compared with the Municipality’s population in 1995 which is 54,624, it shows an increase of 10,456 persons from 1995 to 2007. An annual growth rate of 871 or an average increase of 19.14% in the span of twelve (12) years. The highest percentage changes in population from 1995-2007 were exhibited in Barangays Pitpitan, Perez, Tibig, Sta Ines and Bagumbayan with an increase of 57.46%, 56.58%, 41.60%, 39.11%, and 33.38% respectively. On the other hand, the barangays that showed the least percentage changes in population are Barangays San Francisco, Matungao, and Bambang with only an increase of 1.6%, 3.12% and 7.42% respectively.

 

 

Rural

 

The Municipality of Bulakan is dominantly rural. The NSO classified Barangays San Jose, Bagumbayan, Bambang and Matungao as urban barangays, the rest are rural. The 2007 Census on Population account 58.22% of the total populace are living in rural area and 41.78% in urban area.

 

 

Population Density

 

The 2007 population density of the Municipality was registered at 8.9 persons per hectare and expected to escalate to 11.2 persons per hectare by the year 2010.

 

 

Number of Households

 

The Community Based Monitoring System (CBMS) survey as of January 2005 showed a total of 14,523 household. In comparison with the total number of households of 12,488 in 2002, an increase of 2,035 households from 2002-2005 is realized.

 

 

Sex and Age Structure

 

Like the rest of the country, the population in Bulakan exhibits a pyramidal age structure. The population between the ages 0-14 accounts for 19,966 or 30.68% of the total population. On the other hand, 45,113 or 69.32% belong to the 15 years old and above bracket and only 4,659 or 7.16% are in the age bracket of 60 years old and above. In terms of sex distribution, the female population slightly outnumbered the male population by 2.64% in 2007 Census on Population. There were 32,116 male population as against the 32,964 female population which result to a sex ratio of 1 male is to 1.024 female comparatively.

 

 

Religion

 

The Roman Catholicism has remained the dominant religion of the populace since its propagation in the town c. 1572. Out of the 65,080 total population in 2007, 59,079 or 90.78% were Roman Catholics. Other Christian faiths that have found their way in the town are Iglesia ni Kristo, United Methodist Church, United Church of Christ in the Philippines, and many others.

 

 

Dialect

 

Generally the Town of Bulakan is typically a Tagalog speaking town, about 86.8% speak Tagalog while the rest speak other dialects such as Waray, Bicol, Ilocano and Cebuano.

 

 

Literacy Rate

 

The 2005 Community Based Monitoring System Survey shows the population of 10 years old and above at around 38,164 persons and about 37,822 are literate that is 99.10 percent, data exhibited that around 342 persons from the same age bracket are functionally illiterate and that is 0.90 percent.